Thursday, May 31, 2018

Why I love to Run.


I love to run. As a rule, I manage to get out and run on average about three times a week. So, I love running. Recently the pressures of my work have meant that I haven't managed to get out and run as much as I’d like.

Running, Trainers, Marathon
Blowing away the Cobwebs
The other day I got out the door and had the first decent run I’ve had in a while and boy did it blow away the cobwebs? I really enjoyed it. it was great, and it made me appreciate just how good running is for me. A recent article in Runner’s World magazine suggested that it’s one of the best ways to get your weekly quota of physical activity. Apparently, recent studies say that runners live an average of up to three years longer and have a thirty percent lower risk of all-cause mortality than inactive people.
Runners, Legs, Feet, Marathon
Many well documented studies showing health benefits
There are many documented studies showing the benefits of running and how it works on many levels. It seems that running helps to lower your resting heart rate. I'm approaching 65 so, as an older adult my heart rate is lower anyway, but I’ve been running for a good few years now and my resting heart rate is about 45 bpm which I think is pretty good by any standards. Running has also been pretty good at lowering my blood pressure over the years and has certainly improved my cardiorespiratory function.
Runner, Althlete, Marathon
Follow the Pied Piper
I had a Heart Attack in 2010 and some people feel that I shouldn’t be running at all. For me running was a path back to fitness and I do believe that running helps to keep my heart healthier for all the reasons listed above. They do say that running can reduce your risk of heart disease by as much as 45%. I have certainly felt the benefits. It is all too easy after going through some physical trauma to sit back a wrap (or allow others) to wrap you in cotton wool. No doubt people mean well, but it doesn't help.
Interestingly, it’s not just heart and lungs. It seems that runners possess greater insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake as well as greater HDL (Good) cholesterol levels. In addition, running boosts muscular mass and bone density, which suggests that runners might have a lower risk of osteoarthritis the non-runners.

As well as the obvious physical benefits, there is lots of research out there that suggests running is good for your mental wellbeing too. So, It’s clear to me that running is good for me mentally and physically, but did you know that studies have shown that it can also increase brain power? There is research showing that it's had an impact on the hippocampus and the prefrontal cortex of the brain which can lead to higher cognitive functions and much less incidents of depressive symptoms.
So, both from a physical and from a neurological point of view running seems to be a good thing. It certainly works for me anyway and that's why I love to run.

I have written a short e-book about my experiences as a runner, both before and after my Heart attack. It's called Running with A Wounded Heart and is available at the very modest price .






Also, you may be interested in my new book, Too Old to Ultra, which will be available  to
 Pre-Order in March 2019








No comments:

Post a Comment