Friday, June 1, 2018

Equality, Diversity, Inclusion, Sport and me!



My name is Steve Morley. I am an Inclusion Coach. So, what exactly is an Inclusion coach?
it’s someone who is passionate about Inclusion. The definition of Inclusion is - the action or state of including or of being included within a group or structure. In many parts of our society people are simply not included. Some people are constantly subjected to various forms of inequality or discrimination. Some people become marginalised or victimised due to their physicality, race, gender or sexual orientation. This Inequality permeates our World, affecting everything from day to day living through to our businesses, commerce and government. We seem to be living in a “Me First” Society where community and common good has given way to “what’s in it for me?”
Sports Coach, Inclusion, Adapted Sports, School Sports

From an early age I had two great interests, Sport and Business and was moderately successful at both. I wanted to be a top sports star and I wanted to be rich.  I had a very blinkered view of the World, was very selfish and very competitive. However, financial problems and family health issues began to change my attitude to life. When I had a heart attack in 2010 it felt like the metamorphosis was complete. I can’t pretend to have had an Epiphany, but I did start to see the World in a different way. I took early retirement and began working for local charities, coaching and providing inclusive and adapted sports for children with disabilities. Since then my “job description” as an Inclusion Coach has evolved.
Public Speaking, Teachers, Talking, Inclusion, Schools
 Last year I formed a business called “Ifnotme -inclusion coaching Ltd and, for me, being an Inclusion coach means being an educator, a trainer and a facilitator. I use my experience in the sporting world, to create opportunities for disenfranchised people to be “Included” and, working with companies and organisations I try to help people reflect on these issues, to live a more balanced life and to become more authentic human beings.



I do my very best to practice what I preach and try to, as the quote says,
“Be the change you want to see in the World”  
My work gives me the opportunity Wheelchairs, Fitness, Exercise, Gym
to work with
many “hard to reach groups” for example people with disabilities. Of course, as a Sports Coach, I use Adapted and Inclusive sports to engage and support.
 

Bored, Excluded, Not interested.
However, many non-disabled young people have a troubled relationship with PE, sport and physical activity too.
One thinks about the young person with issues about their body, those overweight or underweight. Or those with eczema, scars or other physical conditions which cause them embarrassment. Young people with low self-esteem, self-image or confidence.
Those who struggle with English, or from a culture where families are culturally conservative or tend to gender stereotype and so think PE and sport are not for girls. The young woman who feels being good at or enjoying sport makes her look unfeminine. What about the boy who is worried about getting hit by the cricket ball, or hurt in the football tackle? Or Boys who don't like sport or PE but whose family put pressure on them to be 'sporty'. And, Girls or boys from families who themselves have had negative experiences in PE or sport.
Public speaking, Talking, Workshop
All the above can benefit from a more inclusive and adapted approach to sport. That is what I preach.
The definition of Inclusion, after all, is - the action or state of including or of being included within a group or structure.


I’m sure we all know people who dreaded sports days and would have given anything to avoid the PE class. By using adaptive, inventive and inclusive activities we can often engage with children who, for many reasons, are not drawn to or naturally good at mainstream and traditional sports.
Everybody should be able to experience the joy that taking part in sport can bring, the connections that can be made, the sense of accomplishment and the feeling of being part of something bigger.
Seated sports, Adaped Volleyball, Inclusive.
Most importantly, let’s take the dread out of sport and by making it “Inclusive”, make it FUN for all!




                                                             







No comments:

Post a Comment